Sunday, June 13, 2010

The True Adventurer

As those of you who know me know, I like adventures. I also like to to think about adventure. I made a movie that, for the purposes of this blog, I'll frame as being about the sustainability of adventure (in terms of emotional, not environmental, resources). [NOTE: I tried to embed the video, but blogger was being a pain, cropping the player window. Anyone with blogger experience know how to resolve this?]

This summer is particularly interesting to me, as I'm doing a lot of traveling around (adventuring) but doing it (mostly) based out of my parents' house (home). In "On The Road," Sal Paradise (aka Jack Kerouac) frequently returns to his aunt's (actually mother's) house between cross-country journeys. So are home and adventure compatible or is Kerouac a sellout for relying on parental resources?

What is adventure anyway? White people bushwhacking into "uninhabited" jungles and subjugating the (surprise!) inhabitants? Is adventure necessarily counter to the forces of law and order? Is it worth it to go adventuring when some people cannot eat? Can you adventure from a sedentary (living-in-one-place sedentary, not laying-on-the-sofa sedentary) lifestyle?

Basically, as I begin to plan the next stages of my vagabond summer and of my (vagabond?) life, I'm wondering if adventure is a worthwhile goal to pursue. Thoughts?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Books are adventures ;) So I think the definition of an adventure can be broad. You should make a list of adventures to accomplish this summer, and choose a variety. Books, good deeds, exploring unknown territory, learning something new, new friends, video games, competition... all of these things can involve adventure.

Also, try fiddling with the html of your blog post to fix embedding mistakes. Blogger isn't great at embedding, that's for sure.