Tuesday, June 1, 2010

New Blog

I feel kind of silly starting a blog. It seems like a thing that, unless for some unexpected reason it becomes significantly popular and lucrative, is doomed to fail quickly.

Nonetheless, I'm off facebook, and I plan on getting into some interesting stuff that you may or may not want to read about, and (perhaps most importantly) since I won't be making (m)any films in the upcoming months, I need a new medium to work in.

The title (and the url) come from my favorite poem, Wendell Berry's "Manifesto: The Mad Farmer Liberation Front." I know that in some circles (my own), it is in bad form to declare a favorite. The appropriate thing to say is "oh, there are so many I love, I could never pick a favorite." Perhaps this vogue is a symptom of over-mediation in our culture. Perhaps it indicates indecisiveness, or a reticence, a fear of vulnerability to the judges of Taste and Culture. I am guilty of this evasion sometimes with novels, often with music, and almost always with movies. With poetry, however, I have a favorite. "Mad Farmer" is not a particularly elegant poem. It does not make me feel deep inexplicable feelings like some poems do. But it makes me want to DO things, and it makes me feel invincible. So that's why I picked it for this blog's title.

I'm sure what I'm going to post here, except, for now, my email (written in text form to thwart spammers) so that you can contact me in lieu of facebook: g [dot] s [dot] albright [at] gmail [dot] com

-Greg

2 comments:

Erik said...

I'll be joining you in the blog venture as soon as I make my departure for that land of the rising sun (why did I just call it that?). Somebody mentioned that it is possible to have joint blogs as well, which would be great for us SCFers who are going all over the world this year, including you. I have a feeling you like being independent about these things, though.

Lately, whenever I think about how we graduated seniors will be moving to different parts of the country/world, I replay a montage in my head of various Swatties waving at the camera and dancing to ELO's "All over the world": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IlfCsj7gWQ&feature=related.

Es said...

hi Greg, Wes sent me the link to your blog. That is a great poem. A great post too -- keep it up! :-)
All the best,
Emma