Monday, June 21, 2010

My Favorite Things IV: Miscellaneous

A few other miscellaneous things to round out my "favorite things" series:

Website: Daytrotter
If you're into the music scene that is alternately described as Indie, Hipster, Neo-Folk, etc. you'll love Daytrotter as much as I do. They're a recording studio that gets up-and-coming (and sometimes well-established) musicians to drop in and record a few songs. Then, the release the songs for free online. High quality downloads are available for a small price. I've found a number of exciting bands via Daytrotter. One of my current favorite bands, The Low Anthem, did a really good session that you should really check out.

Comic book / graphic novel: Bone
This book is for everyone. Children, adults, comic readers and literature readers will enjoy Bone. Neither of those pairings, it should be noted, are exclusive of each other. It is an epic journey, a sweet tale of friendship, and lots of other things. It is not nearly as corny as it sounds. Well, sometimes it's corny, but it's incredibly original, considering the overworked genres it is in. I have the one-volume black and white edition--the way it was originally published, it should be noted. Some whiners on Amazon seem to think that the admittedly excellent Scholastic color releases are the original.

* * *

I realize, in retrospect, that another part of this "favorites" series is picking the categories. The categories themselves are some of my favorite things: books, movies, and music are all things in which I find a lot of meaning. So I leave you with a parting question: what are some categories in which you have favorites? And what are some of your favorite things in those categories?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

favorite: TV show or childhood cartoon, famous/inspirational quote, home-cooked food, game (board, card, word, icebreaker, etc.), viral video, thing to do to pass time, smell, natural phenomenon, and... book or passage of the Bible!

Some of my favorites on my other other other blog: andrewq.tumblr.com.

Josh said...

Bone is incredible. I am immensely enjoying it (1/2 way through the complete collection, got it from the library.)