Friday, June 25, 2010

Sawdust

Most of my time in the woodshop these past few days has been time sanding. I have never spent much time sanding, or thinking about sanding, but now I have plenty of time. Sanding is the kind of work that sits pleasantly astride the barrier between tedious work and difficult work. It allows plenty of mental energy for other thought, but requires enough concentration so as not to be monotonous.

Sanding involves changing the wood. In particular, it involves removing wood. Most ways that I have learned to change the wood have involved removing: saws, routers, sanders, planes all remove wood. Even the nail, which ostensibly bonds two pieces of wood together, creates holes in both of them. The removing of the wood occupied my thoughts for a while, until I realized that all that wood was going somewhere.

Now, when I leave the shop, I seem prematurely gray. I have a halo of sawdust, and it builds small cabinets in my nostrils.

Life Update:
I'll be out backpacking from tomorrow until early July. Don't expect posts for a while.

No comments: