Monday, June 11, 2012

"Why do people move? What makes them uproot and leave everything they've known for a great unknown beyond the horizon?" - Life of Pi

When Yann Martel's "Life of Pi" was first populating bestseller lists and book club discussions, I paid it no mind; or rather, I avoided it because it was talked-about, or because I perceived it as a "book-club book," the sort that wore its themes on its sleeve, asking to be parsed by such questions as "How did Pi's re-naming of himself make you feel? In what ways do you re-name yourself?"

Nonetheless, Mann Booker trumped Oprah, and I pulled "Life of Pi" from the discount rack at the bookstore on my second-to-last day at work. It will be my reading material for the weird limbo of a furniture-less apartment here in Harrisburg, the interstitial U-Haul journey, and probably the first few days in Chicago.

It is a book about a move that goes drastically awry (so I hear; I'm still in the first few chapters). In the realm of omens and totems, perhaps it is a poor choice, but I press on, because the quote that opens this post continues:

 "The answer is the same the world over: people move in the hope of a better life."

3 comments:

Helen said...

First of all, I'm so glad you're blogging again! I've missed your web-presence, Greg.

As someone in the middle of a move, I can totally relate to your feeling of limbo. Good luck with the move, and enjoy Chicago!

Greg said...

Thanks Helen! It's good to be back online.

Good luck with your move as well. Where to?

Unknown said...

Greg. I LOVE this book. In fact, I just finished re-reading it (marks the third time through) a few days ago, and it hasn't gotten old yet, even the various plot twists and philosophical ruminations. Tell me what you think when you're done; I can't wait to talk about it with you!