Friday, April 29, 2011

Ur-Texts: Goodbye?

While I realize that I only have a few more ur-texts left on my list (see below), I am postponing the project. I have too many good books building up on my shelf that I need to read. Working at a bookstore, this happens. The book that tipped the scales though, was not from the bookstore. It was a hardcover copy of Dave Eggers' A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, that I bought for a dollar at a local church yard sale. Joel has been recommending this book to me for over a year, and I decided it was time.

A few loose ends to wrap up (for now) on the ur-texts project:
1) The boundaries of the project (ONLY reading ur-texts) slipped, and I recently read Coffee: A Dark History. I hope to post on it soon. I also began reading in Ched Myers' commentary of the Gospel of Mark, Binding the Strong Man.
2) I realize that, at the inception of this project, I had a list of ur-texts to read. I will now post the (slightly amended) list, featuring links to my posts on the various texts. Starred texts have been added since the project began.

- The Dharma Bums (Kerouac) posts I and II
- One Man's Meat (White) posts I, II, and III
- Moby-Dick (Melville) posts I, II, and III
- Cannery Row (Steinbeck) posts I, II, and III
- The Prophet (Gibran) struck from the list; see the post
The Practice of the Presence of God (Brother Lawrence) the post
still unread are
- various poems (Berry)
- The Lord of the Rings (Tolkien) which I strike from the list for timeliness's sake.
- For Whom the Bell Tolls (Hemingway) which I strike from the list since it is merely a favorite, and not an ur-text.
- *The Art of War (Sun Tzu) a surprise for many who know me; I hope to write on this book soon.
- East of Eden (Steinbeck) the book I name when asked for my favorite book of all time.
- *Freight Train (Crews) the ur-ur-text; the first book I ever read.

*     *     *

So there it is. It feels freeing to put the ur-texts to rest for now. Having gone just over halfway down the list, I hope to finish at some later date. For now, I can say that a common theme to many of my re-readings is the importance of context. The books that most shaped me shaped me to some degree because of the books themselves, but also because of where and when I read them. Or, as Melville says in Moby-Dick:

"Book! You lie there; the fact is, you books must know your places. You'll do to give us the bare words and facts, but we come in to supply the thoughts."

4 comments:

McManus Family said...

Binding the Strong Man is SO GOOD! You definitely have to read it with at least one Bible in hand though b/c it's pretty dense stuff. If you'd taken Jesus seminar, you would have been able to discuss this book with Ellen Ross... dream of dreams.

Let me know what you think!

Kirsten said...

What?! You haven't re-read Freight Train?! We have the cool sliding version--DJ would be happy to read it with you the next time you stop by to use the washer. :)

Joel said...

We really need to talk books some time soon. I'm almost finished with the Steinbeck corpus, and now I'm rereading Hemingway, since my editor tells me my work is too wordy.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the Eggers memoir. It's definitely one of my favorite memoirs.

Greg said...

Kirsten: Full disclosure: I have in fact re-read Freight Train. When it arrived in the mail I couldn't help myself.
Joel: Yes let's talk books. Reading all of Steinbeck is one of my goals. I tried last summer, and got distracted by the complete works of Chabon.