Friday, March 25, 2011

Ur-Texts: The Prophet

While reading Kahlil Gibran's "The Prophet," I realized that this book really hasn't been that formative to me. I love reading it, and it has moments where its language really shines, but it has not had any kind of serious or notable influence, at least not as notable as the influences of the other books I've been re-reading.

It expresses very eloquently ideas that I have about the world, and though I am striking it from my list of ur-texts, I would not miss the opportunity to share some quotes:

"Who can separate his faith from his actions, or his belief from his occupations? Who can spread his hours before him, saying, 'This for God and this for myself; This for my soul and this other for my body?'"

"If this indeed be the hour in which I lift up my lantern, it is not my flame that shall burn therein. Empty and dark shall I raise my lantern, and the guardian of the night shall fill it with oil and he shall light it also."

No comments: