Sunday, February 13, 2011

Ur-Texts: Moby-Dick II

"All these things are not without their meanings."
-- Moby-Dick; or, The Whale, Chapter 7, The Chapel

*     *     *

"Moby-Dick" is the most recently re-read of the books on my ur-texts list. I finished it for the first time in the fall of 2008; being no wine connoisseur, I will not fine the book for its recent vintage. Taken in another light, though, this a book of oldest vintage; published in 1851, it has only "The Practice of the Presence of God" (set down in the 17th century) to compete with on the aforementioned list.

A large part of this book's impact on me is contextual, in particular, due to the location in which I read; namely, at the Mystic Seaport Museum and at sea. I studied in an undergraduate program at the museum that involved reading "Moby-Dick." Figuring that I would never be motivated to read such a tome without the prodding of the academy, I signed up. 

Reading "Moby-Dick" at the museum almost guarantees a love for the book. I read chapters in all parts of the Charles W. Morgan, a ship built in the same year as and across the river from the Acushnet, the ship Melville sailed in during the trip that inspired "Moby-Dick." I read out on the head rig of the SSV Corwith Cramer as dolphins swam by underneath. I read in my bunk when the raising of the anchor chain kept me from sleeping.

Additionally, the museum is where Barry Moser came to do research for the illustrations in the University of California edition. The whaleboat, the try-works and, most often encountered in my twice-weekly visits to the blacksmith's shop, the harpoons are all familiar friends. As a museum collections intern, I was able to cross the ropes and touch (for inventory purposes, of course) pretty much anything on the museum's grounds.

So how could I not be affected by "Moby-Dick"?

p.s. The first three sentences contain semicolons not only for their punctuational value, but as an homage to Melville.

p.p.s. My classmates and I participated in a dramatic re-enactment of excerpts from "Moby-Dick." Watch highlights here, featuring me as Ishmael, in bed with Queequeg and as Tashtego, going overboard.

1 comment:

Joel said...

Sort of ashamed to say I've never actually read this one. It seems like something I should read at some point. I figure I might one day go to a full reading of it, though, like they often have during the summer in seaside communities, and I don't want to spoil the surprise before then.