Sunday, February 20, 2011

Concerts

I'm not sure if I've spent a post detailing all of the things that make Harrisburg a great town, but if you've been following the blog, hopefully you've gotten the sense that I love living here. One reason is that Harrisburg has a great music scene.


View Larger Map

Though it is located in middle-of-nowhere, Pennsylvania, Harrisburg sits at the junction of some major roads, making it an ideal stop for bands traveling north-south (to/from the happening scene in Baltimore), and east-west (to/from Philly/Pittsburgh, and, in a grander sense, NYC/Midwest).

Since moving here, I've seen The Low Anthem, David Wax Museum, and Bess Rogers, among other more local acts (Colebrook Road put on a great show last week at local venue Stage on Herr). I post this now because 1) I'm going to see The Low Anthem again, this time in Philly, and 2) there are some great concerts coming up.

Yes, they won a Grammy, but NC folk group The Carolina Chocolate Drops have had a special place in my heart since before then. They revive Appalachian mountain music, playing banjo, fiddle, jug, bones, and kazoo, and backing it with some powerful vocals. They're playing the Appalachian Brewing Co. on March 4. I'll be busy working (another concert, coincidentally), but y'all should drop on by and see this show.

Also coming soon to ABC is the Baltimore throwback rock and roll outfit J. Roddy Walston and the Business. If the name alone doesn't sell you, check out their second Daytrotter session (their first is mediocre).

I'll also be missing this show, since that is the day Heather arrives back in the US from Kenya. You're great, J. Roddy, but I've got priorities.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Now aren't you just the sweetest? See you in 2 weeks!