Thursday, September 2, 2010

Updates

We're in town. We have a place. We both (Nate and I) have jobs, though I need more hours to make more dollars.

But we're here, in the place that will be home for a year (or more...?), and now it's time for a report on the Burg.

I. Work
I work at the Midtown Scholar Bookstore, a hub of the arts and academic scene here in Midtown, and in Harrisburg in general. This makes it a wonderful place to work, though my hours are less than desirable--I work through dinner and right into the night. I remind myself that, although I won't be out in the community making the connections that Nate and I came here to make, I will be behind the counter when plenty of people are making their way through the store. I am learning to be a barista.

II. Farm
I've just begun volunteering my mornings at the Joshua Farm, in Allison Hill (a nearby neighborhood that has been identified as a food desert). They are a working CSA, and also support an after-school program for kids from the community. It's only my second day there, and they're already giving me vegetables. Today was harvest day, so that probably has something to do with it.

III. Music
I'm always looking for more ways to indulge my favorite hobby, and while having a record player and decent speakers in the apartment is great, I need to do more. So I've been playing my banjo on the riverfront, looking at the paddle-wheel "Pride of the Susquehanna." I've also sent around videos of the Balkan Band to convince people that I am part of an awesome band, and that they really need me to be in their band. That might be working out; more details to follow.

IV. Other (aka Media)
I've just finished reading Suzanne Collin's YA "Hunger Games" trilogy. I have my thoughts, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone, so if you've read it, let me know, and we can chat. I've been listening to NPR's coverage of the Newport Folk Festival, and the online preview of Ray LaMontagne's newest album, "God Willin' and the Creek Don't Rise." I recently watched Stanley Kubrick's noir/heist film "The Killing" and the recent release "Winter's Bone" (playing at the local arthouse which is showing "Get Low" next week!). Check any or all of them out if you get the chance.

V. Conclusion
As I ride my (awesome, fast, green) road bike (thanks mom!) between the urban farm/CSA, the coffeeshop/bookstore, and my apartment in the artsy neighborhood where my record player and banjo await, and I cannot help but worry that I have, officially, become a hipster. Those of you who are the praying type, please pray that my pants do not get tighter; that I continue to enjoy bands' second and third albums, and that I refuse to ever consume PBR.

5 comments:

Cecelia said...

Dear Greg,
If your pants are ever anything other than patchwork masterpieces, I will prepare for the end of the world. I think you are safe from the 'hipster' label. However, if someone leans out their car window and shouts 'HIPSTER!' at you as he pulls slowly through an intersection (a la that strange encounter near the Zoo in DC), then you might need to reconsider.

Unknown said...

Hurray housing! And jobs all around! Very glad to hear it. Have you started ministry with the Presbyterian church?

Erik said...

Greg you know how to enjoy life to well, I sometimes think to myself. Good to know that you've settled in to your new home just fine.

Are you riding a vespa?! With aviator sunglasses and a scarf? I think I'm going to be sick....

Greg said...

I am riding a bike--a bicycle, the kind you power with your own legs, not some sissy motor--not a Vespa, you bum.

Joel said...

I got called a hipster yesterday, in Union Square. To be fair, I was wearing tight, bright red pants, so I probably deserved it. Still, singling me out as a particular hipster in the middle of Greenwich Village seems a bit like calling someone nerdy in the middle of Swarthmore.