Friday, September 24, 2010

An Open Letter to Ira Glass

Dear Sir,

Though it has no bearing on how you will conduct your radio program in the future, I would like to share a few ways in which This American Life has affected my particular American life.

Our letter today has three acts, detailing my particular interactions with This American Life.

Act One: Depression


No, not the clincal/chemical mental health diagnosis, just a general malaise that arises just about every time I listen to an episode of This American Life. An example: your show of March 27, 2007, in which you profiled New York City's prank/guerilla theater troupe Improv Everywhere. I love Improv Everywhere, and have participated in copycat and inspired-by groups. So it was with great pleasure when I heard you announce that you were profiling Improv Everywhere. This pleasure turned to a growing sense of dread when I realized that you were profiling Improv Everywhere's failures.

You yourself, Mr. Glass, have suggested that many of your shows deal with the "crypto-theme" of wrongness. Perhaps this is why I find listening to your show to be an existentially painful experience. I do not enjoy wrongness in myself, or hearing about how others are wrong. This is not only the case with Improv Everywhere, to whom I have some emotional connection. I am even depressed by episodes whose subjects have no connection to me whatsoever. It is the fact of the wrongness and failure inherent in so many of your shows that depresses me.

It took much listening to your show to realize that this was the case, but even once I realized that This American Life was not having a positive impact on my emotional state, I did not stop listening. Depressed is not necessarily a negative review, coming from me. Some of my favorite music (The Low Anthem), movies (Aguirre, The Wrath of God), and books (Hemingway in general) leave me with a feeling of hopelessness about the world in general, and, contradictory as it may sound, this feeling is not always unpleasant. Knowing this about myself, I kept listening to your show.

Act Two: Redemption

Until I stopped, and swore off This American Life for lighter radio fare (Car Talk; All Songs Considered).  But then a friend sent me a link to your show of August 28, 1998. Entitled "Notes On Camp," it chronicled various summer camp experiences. Both this friend and I had been co-workers at a summer camp. 

I listened through the entire episode, cringing as each act ended and a new one began, waiting for the revelation that would turn the whole experience sour.

It never came. I listened through the stories of color days, of camp crushes, of bloody mary and comic hijinks in Israeli army camp. None of it aroused that creeping unhappiness that accompanies most every other episode of This American Life.

I was shocked. I listened to the whole piece again, and again, no malaise. Only minor annoyance at the girls' repetitive "D-A-V-E-Y DAVEY!" song. The piece evoked some pleasant nostalgia for my own summer camp days, and gave cause to meditate on summer camp's deeper meaning: "[camp] is using all the stagecraft that all the world's religions have always used... but for an entirely secular purpose: to thrill children."

This American Life was, perhaps, redeemed.

Act Three: Prequel

Now, however, we must go back to the beginning. I had heard snippets on the radio, and heard my college friends dropping your name, Mr. Glass, with great reverence. But this world is saturated with so much media, and there are fewer hours in the days than there are hours of quality recorded entertainment, so I passed This American Life on by.

My formative experiences with your show occurred on a road trip. It was a situation that would perhaps make a worthwhile setup for a future episode of your show: a friend set up the trip, then found herself delayed, leaving me to ride south from Pennsylvania to Louisiana with a minivan of people I had never met. She met up with us in New Orleans, but on the southbound trip and then again on the homeward trip, we listened to This American Life.
We clocked more than 30 hours of driving, not all (but a significant portion) of it accompanied by the sound of your voice, Mr. Glass. It was on this trip that the seeds of doubt were planted in my mind: would every episode leave me feeling like the world was a place of glum failure?

Regardless, we listened to many, many episodes, so it wasn't so unexpected when, at a later stage in the same journey, sans minivan full of friends, I walked into a New York City bakery and heard your voice from the loudspeakers.

It was early January--the cold, cold January of 2009--temperatures hovering around zero. I wore a huge old army surplus backpack, stuffed with two weeks of clothes. New Orleans clothes, not New York clothes. I was wearing my only two long-sleeved shirts, with multiple t-shirts layered underneath. I was cold and hungry, without a warm place to stay for another eight hours, and without spare cash. I looked and felt like one of New York's many unfortunate homeless. Later that day, in fact, I would stand in a subway station and ask passersby to swipe their Metrocard to get me into the subway (to no avail). When I stepped into that bakery, all I wanted was one of the cookies on the full, hot cookie sheets they were drawing out of the oven. Just one, to put some warmth inside of me.

I don't know why, but I didn't suppose that engaging the baker in conversation about This American Life -- the episode playing over the speakers, the same episode I had recently heard in the van on the way through Washington D.C. -- would get me a free cookie. Of course (as you, the consummate storyteller, must have guessed) it did. As we discussed the story of the baby-doll salesgirl and the unfortunate ramifications of the colors of the dolls' skins, she pulled a new sheet of chocolate chip walnut cookies out of the oven, and handed one across the counter.

Epilogue

So, Mr. Glass, despite the emotional turmoil that your show has, and continues to put me through, I owe you a debt of gratitude. In my moment of great need, a passing familiarity with your program got me exactly what I needed, when nothing else could have.

Since listening to that fateful summer camp episode, I have not listened to your show. My hesitation is too great--I have reached a place where I am at peace with This American Life, and if I were to pursue your show any further, that delicate equilibrium might be upset.

As someone who also appreciates and aspires to the art of storytelling, I respect your work, but have come to understand that it is not for me.

Best of luck with the program,
G. S. Albright

No comments: