Friday, July 23, 2010

Take-Away

I know I've mentioned Daytrotter here. Let me re-remind you to visit Daytrotter. But let me also point
you to Take-Away Shows.


I. Distribution & Ideology

The fact that sites like Daytrotter and Takeaway Shows exist is an encouragement to me. They fill a previously (as in, 'before the internet') non-existent niche in music distribution: the space between live shows and album recordings. The sense of improvisation that makes for the best live shows is present in these 'in-between' recordings, and they are presented in an audio quality that  exceeds underground concert recordings, but not so slickly produced as an album. That's in terms of distribution; it is ideologically pleasing to know that, via sites like these, bands can promote themselves without need to go to a record label; that they can circumvent strategies of profit-making.

You will note, however, that I'm not specifically recommending bands' myspace pages or self-released albums, though both allow bands to circumvent the labels. I like these two sites in particular for reasons other than ideology.

II. The Music

In terms of musical creation, these sessions sit in another in-between space: between jam/rehearsal and live show. The feeling is intimate, sometimes unpolished, and (especially at TakeAway Shows) you get closer to the band than you could at any but the smallest of venues (Swarthmore's Olde Club comes to mind). And that's the kind of performance I like. I understand the allure of the rock'n'roll show, of the onstage extravaganza of dancers and lights equally choreographed, but I do not prefer it.

And that's the second reason I recommend these sites: I genuinely like this music. It is, certainly not in all cases, but in the ones I seek out and enjoy, it is music that is both participatory and mobile. It can spring up spontaneously, and it invites people to join it. The former is a function, to some degree of the instrumentation: acoustic, portable. The latter, of the composition and arranging: simple, rhythmic.

This combination takes the best of folk bands (in the old community or family band sense, not in the post-60s folk band sense) and marching bands, and makes music for everyone; the opposite of the record label model (music for those who have the technology to reproduce it and to purchase those reproductions). That's what I like about these sites.

III. The List

I was going to incorporate links to some of my favorite Daytrotter sessions and Take-Away Shows into the body, but I think I'll just put them right here.

III.i. Daytrotter
AA Bondy
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes
The Low Anthem
The Preservation Hall Jazz Band
Spoon

III.ii. Take-Away Shows
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes
The Low Anthem
Megafaun
Mumford & Sons

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Joel said...

Those are all great recordings from great bands. I'm so excited for the Low Anthem and Swell Season next Friday!