Sunday, July 11, 2010

Get Low

No, no, not that "Get Low." Or that one (props to Mel Cruz for sharing that). Read on.

This may be a function of my major at Swarthmore, but I really like movie trailers. Sometimes, I like trailers more than the movies themselves. I definitely see more trailers than I see movies (they’re free, and a whole lot shorter). But I’m also a committed skeptic when it comes to judging the quality of movies based on their trailers; that is, I usually expect them to not live up to their trailers. I usually expect new movies to be terrible. An example that I am not proud to share: after seeing its trailer, I predicted that “WALL-E” would fail artistically, seeking box office dollars as an exercise in cute-for-cute’s-sake. 
So it is very gingerly that I say that, based on its trailer, I expect this movie to be phenomenal.


There are actually two “Get Low” trailers out right now. The first one is linked above. The second one is here. I was puzzled by the release of the second, since the two are so similar.

After a second viewing, I realized that the second one includes critics’ blurbs, and after a little bit (a very little bit) of digging, I found that the movie has been out for a little while (though not to be released in US theaters till the end of the month). So that explains the second trailer: if you’ve got reviews, why not use them? Most movies would love to be in this position; they can’t release a “darling of the critics” trailer till after opening weekend, when the money’s already been made or lost. “Get Low” dodges that with its weird release timing (probably took it a while to get a distributor after being on the festival circuit in mid/late 2009), and by virtue of the fact that it’s an arty film, not a high-expected-gross blockbuster.


Now that that’s out of the way, on to what I really care about: which trailer is better? First, watch them both (#1 and #2) and choose for yourself. Remember your preference, and let me know in the comments. Tuesday, I’ll post my analysis.

2 comments:

Erik said...

I like trailer one better, sans the reviews. The text takes too much out of the trailer experience; it feels more like a commercial than a preview of a story.

On the other hand, I have suspicious of my own ability to judge impartially between the two trailers considering that booth are pretty similar and that, as a result, watching #2 feels like watching #1 a second time, which makes it less interesting. In order to get a statistically significant result in your poll, you would have to get people to see the trailers in different orders...

There is definitely a folksy 'O Brother Where Art Thou' feel to the trailer. You'll probably like it.

Greg said...

I deny the significance of statistics. But yes, I think I'll like it.