Thursday, October 27, 2011

Occupy and Chefs (French and Swedish)

1) I spent some time at the Occupy Harrisburg protest last week. Here, Slate's legal writer steps outside of her area of expertise and gives a thought-provoking take on the Occupy movement. She parses it NOT in terms of the economy, but in terms of the media response to it, and Occupy's lack of re-response to that media attention: "Mark your calendars: The corporate media died when it announced it was too sophisticated to understand simple declarative sentences."

2) As Heather and I brainstormed for our Halloween costumes, we stumbled upon a shocking realization: the Muppets' Swedish Chef appears to be a parody of Julia Child's The French Chef. After doing my research, I realized that this is entirely possible, and that it is already written up on wikipedia. Nonetheless, I'll post two clips below. Note the similarities in theme music (in at :28 in the first video), kitchen decor, and mannerisms of the two chefs.

JULIA CHILD (this one is long -- just watch the first 45 seconds):


SWEDISH CHEF:


And finally, if you're still reading along, two of my favorite Swedish Chef videos here and here.

No comments: