Thursday, October 13, 2011

Drive

A few thoughts on "Drive," mostly to clear it out of my head, where it's been for the past few days.

I) Sound. 
This movie will win some sort of award(s) for sound design or sound track. Both were phenomenal and unique, in my opinion the major element keeping this movie from feeling too "Hollywood." If you've seen it, imagine it with any other music, sound effects, dialogue mixing, etc., and realize how conventional it would feel.

II) Violence.
The violence in this movie was shocking, hard to do in this day and age. Some of it was necessary, some of it was gratuitous, but it reminded me of the power that violence really has (see my notes on "Reservoir Dogs"). In this movie, the violence is (or tries to be) redemptive. Unfortunate, as its virtuosic portrayal could have been a stinging commentary against violence.

III) Driver.
The lead character in this movie is unnamed (played by Ryan Gosling, listed in the credits as "Driver"), inviting us to read him as a cipher for all kinds of things, including: Video games (particularly Grand Theft Auto), Cars / the Auto Industry, White/Western Paternalism, The Dearth of Heroes, Blind Ambition. Pick your favorite Big Topic, and try to map it onto Driver as you watch this movie.

IV) Wrap-Up.
I can't in good faith recommend this movie. I didn't like watching it, though I recognize how well-done it is. The only exception to that statement is the long cold-open. That bit could play as a short film on its own, and be perfect.

No comments: