Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Erasmo

Erasmo came into the store carrying a bag of "Spicy Beef Stick Bits & Ends" and wearing army-style dog tags.

"Hey," he said, "can you guys help me out?"
"We can try," said Liz, "Whattya need?"
"I need someone who speaks French. Or Arabic."

We looked around the store. It was Saturday night, so it was fairly crowded. None of my friends there spoke French or Arabic. Nathan was also sitting at the counter.

"Why do you need that?" he said.
"Well..." Erasmo took a deep breath and ate another beef stick, "There's this pretty Moroccan chick who moved in next door to me."

"Ahhhh," we all said.
"Yeah," he said, "And playing charades hasn't been working out so well. I mean, how do you say 'you're pretty' in charades?"
"Point at something pretty?" said Liz.
"Then I'd point at myself," he said.
"And that would just confuse her," said Nathan.

We shrugged. Erasmo offered us some bits & ends (only Nathan took him up on that), and left the store for his cross-linguistic rendezvous.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I told my roommates this story. We all had a good laugh. Too bad couldn't be there to help! If he comes in again... "Vous ĂȘtes belle"

Kristen said...

Greg, you didn't point him to some "French for Dummies" or "Arabic for the Lovesick" book in your store? Sounds like he's gonna have to work for this one...

Joel said...

Tell him to point at the sky. That way, either she thinks he's complimenting her, or she thinks he's predicting the end of the world. Depending on the way she reacts, he'll know if she's the one or not.