Monday, October 11, 2010

Narrative Truth

It was Nathan's birthday on Saturday, and yesterday his family came to visit. Todd, Nathan's older brother, gave him a can opener.

"I've been telling people that you guys have a working turntable but no can opener as a way to describe your lives."
"I like that," I said. "I'm gonna use that one from now on."
"But now you can't," said Nathan. "We have a can opener."
"No," I said, "I'm gonna say it anyway."
"But it's not true," said Todd.
"It's not categorically true."
"Categorically?" said Todd, "You can't just put words in to make it sound like you're not lying."
"Well," I said, "It's narratively true. It tells a true story about our life here."



Life Update:
We have a working turntable but no can opener.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love it. Laughed so hard, read it aloud to my roommate. Had a lovely conversation about how you are a pirate, had to explain that no, you did not do a semester at sea.