Saturday, August 21, 2010

After a Long Hiatus...

... I am back. Not back in any sort of permanent location (I'm in Allentown till Monday, when I move to temporary apartment-hunting base camp in Hershey). It's been too long. I was afraid that this blog might have hit that point that so many of my friends' post-college blogs hit, where they fall apart and never return. This is not the case with any of the blogs that I currently link to. Good work, y'all.

Jim Thorpe's iconic steeple, from the porch of the historic Harry Packer House.
But I don't want to be too blog-aware, so let me use the rest of this post to recommend the greater Jim Thorpe area as a lovely vacation destination. The family reunited (the four of us hadn't been in the same place at the same time for ages) at "the camp" outside of Jim Thorpe. It's a nice little place, although I feel bad about my family being rich landowning types. It used to be a motorcycle garage, and the small pond is too glutted with tame sunnies to make swimming at all enjoyable. They nibble at your skin in what they believe to be a completely non-threatening way that ends up coming off as far too piranha-esque to be comfortable. So I guess I feel a little okay about the place. We went kayaking. We took a plane ride. We visited an art gallery. We went out for dinner. We toured an old historic home. Note how I used "old" to avoid having to deal with the tricky question of which article precedes "historic" (I prefer "an," but it sounds so snooty).

So go to Jim Thorpe. And Moya.

This writing was curtailed because, right in the middle of typing it, I got a call from Harrisburg's Midtown Scholar Bookstore. They gave me a job! I'll be manning the coffee bar and helping out around the bookstore, not to mention putting in extra hours at the various art and music events that they host after hours. So if you're ever in Harrisburg, stop in.

3 comments:

Erik said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erik said...

Awesome! Congrats on being employed! Midtown Scholar Bookstore looks like an awesome place and the perfect match for you.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the job, Greg! You'll keep us updated on your housing search, yes?